Welcome Pitt LIS 2600 Class:

Welcome Pitt LIS 2600!



Saturday, October 23, 2010

Andrew K. Pace, "Dismantling Integrated Library Systems"

I found this article interesting as it explained that the systems used to check out/in books at the library are not always compatible with each other, "interoperability in library automation is more myth than reality."

I never gave this much thought--that other library systems might use different software which might cause Inter Library Loan to be difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Erin!

    First, I'd like to say it was nice to meet you last weekend! Hopefully we'll have more time to talk next time.

    As for your post: you bring up a valid point regarding inter-library loan. Where I currently work, we have four different procedures for inter-library loan: E-Z Borrow has a procedure when the item is ordered, ILLiad requires a web-based ILS, and PALCI and other PSU items utilize our current ILS (thanks to some changes, of course). I do hope that there will be a day where we can just lump it all together and make life easy on all libraries and librarians (as I don't even want to THINK of the hoops a local library must jump through for our items).

    Just my two cents, so do with them as you will!

    ReplyDelete