Welcome Pitt LIS 2600 Class:

Welcome Pitt LIS 2600!



Saturday, October 2, 2010

An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model

The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative is an international effort to create a consensus across disciplines for discovery-oriented description of diverse resources in digital form.

DCMI is currently identifying and providing semantics for a core set of types of resources (people, corporation, place, etc.) that will facilitate the description of electronic resources.

In other words, DCMI are a set of rules archivists from a range of disciplines follow in order to catalogue resources in an electronic, digital format.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin!

    I was unaware that DC was the schema that archivist prefer. Can you explain why they may choose this schema over creating their own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey,

    I think I used the term archivists here loosely. Are not the people who catalogue items in a collection, whether it's a collection of books, photos, or artifacts, considered "archivists" in a broad sense? After all,'Imaging Pittsburgh' used Dublin Core, and I thought that endeavor was done by archivists.

    I'm by no means an expert here, but I would imagine archivists would use Dublin Core for the same reasons why a library might choose to go with the Dewey Decimal System instead of making up their own: standardization, and ease of use.

    ReplyDelete